The 18th Annual Leonia Oktoberfest, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Palisades, will take place on Saturday, September 23, 2017. This family friendly event filled with food, drink, kids activities, and German competitions has become a family tradition for many in Bergen County.
When you think of Oktoberfest, you may envision locals dressed in lederhosen and knocking down pints of beer while participating in many authentic German games, but there’s more to it.. sort of.
Before you immerse yourself in the German culture while celebrating Oktoberfest this weekend in Leonia, here are some fun facts to know.
1. Oktoberfest originated as a celebration of a marriage between Bavarian King Ludwig and Saxonia’s Maria Theresia in 1810.
2. Today Oktoberfest is the world’s largest Voksfest (beer festival) held annually in Munich lasting 16 to 18 days.
3. 6 million people from around the world travel to the event each year.
4. Last year alone over 500,000 roasted chickens were consumed during the celebration.
5. The celebration doesn’t actually start in October. In reality, it begins in mid to late September and runs through the first weekend in October.
6. Adidas has released limited edition vomit-proof sneakers inspired by Oktoberfest, for those celebrators who drink a little too much German beer.
7. Leonia Oktoberfest started in 2000 when visiting Germans held a spontaneous Bavarian-themed cookout.
Enjoy the Oktoberfest in Leonia on Saturday, September 23rd, from 2-9pm at the American Legion Hall.