15 Ways to Keep the Kids Happy on Snow Days
Everyone loves a snow day! Until the whining and fighting starts. A few hours later the first child says they’re bored and then the day goes downhill from there. A few well thought-out activities are sure to preserve everyone’s sanity on a day stuck inside the house.
Take the dread out of being snowbound with these fun activities for the kids in your home. Whether you’re crafting, cooking, or engaging in some imaginative play, these activities will keep the kids entertained and the boredom at bay.
- Make an indoor bowling alley to practice your strikes and spares.
- Bake these sweet melted snowman cookies instead of bundling up to build the real thing.
- Print out these maps and go on an exciting scavenger hunt around the house.
- Mix up a batch of this delicious hot cocoa mix to enjoy today or on future chilly days.
- Teach your kids about charitable giving by cleaning out closets, trunks and gather gently used blankets and coats to donate to homeless shelters.
- Make this fun sensory snow recipe with ingredients you probably already have around the house.
- Write letters to friends and family in other parts of the country. These prompts can help get kids going to begin a lifelong pen pal relationship with distant acquaintances.
- Make this maple snow candy for a cooking lesson and a sweet treat for everyone to enjoy!
- Make a photo booth for hours of goofy fun.
- Make some of these sock puppets with odd socks around the house. Then settle in for a puppet show like none other.
- Get nostalgic and make these throwback paper snowflakes to decorate your windows during the winter months.
- Turn warm post-snow play baths into a creative experience with these colorful DIY bath paints.
- Gather up old crayon stubs and create these cool new crayons in interesting shapes.
- Get on board with the trend and make some of these slime recipes for hours of fun.
- Resolve to have a backwards day by wearing clothes backwards, eating meals backwards, and walking backwards. It’ll keep kids entertained and the creative juices flowing all day!
Hopefully, this list will help you to encourage imagination and learning on an otherwise dreaded day. Best of luck on your next snow day!