We’re sorry to burst your bubble if you just finished a good spring clean. But, you missed a spot.
Luckily the spots you missed are easily remedied in 5 minute spurts of deep cleaning. Set yourself a timer for 15 minutes and tackle 3 (or even 4) of these quick cleaning fixes at a time to make your home a cleaner and healthier place to live.
- Coffee Maker- Mildew can grow in the always damp environment of your coffee maker and make its way into your morning cup. The fix for this is simple, pour equal parts water and white vinegar into the reservoir of your coffee pot. Let it sit for about an hour (ok, ACTIVE time for this fix is under 5 minutes) then run the coffee pot once to let the vinegar solution run throughout the machine. Run one or two plain water cycles to remove any vinegar that might be left behind.
- Dishwasher- Clean around the seal of your dishwasher to kill stinky bacteria. Don’t forget to disinfect the handle as well. Not-so-clean hands are constantly in contact with your dishwasher and can contaminate clean hands before you unload clean dishes.
- Cell Phone- Anything that gets that much handling is bound to grow some germs. It has even been said that cell phones are dirtier than a public toilet seat’s surface. Take a disinfectant wipe to the surface on a daily basis to avoid the spread of germs.
- Hamper- Dirty, damp, and smelly clothes are constantly in and out of your clothes hamper. Wipe the inside regularly to avoid a stinky situation. While you’re at it, spray the inside with a disinfectant spray to kill germs and keep odors at bay.
- Refrigerator Coils- Use your vacuum hose attachment to clear any dirt and dust from this area of your refrigerator. It’ll keep your refrigerator running better and make it last longer.
- Knife Storage Block- If you put damp knives straight from washing into this block, it has likely grown some mold and bacteria like salmonella. Use canned air products to clear out any debris from the knife slots. Soak the block in hot soapy water for at least an hour. Rinse it clean and then allow to fully dry.
- Can Opener- Your handheld can opener is constantly handled by less than clean hands. Toss it in the dishwasher on occasion to prevent germs from building up. Just make sure to fully dry this gadget before storing to prevent rust.
- Light Switches- Whether you’re touching them after a bathroom trip, sneezing, or handling raw meat, you contaminate light switches regularly. Use a disinfectant wipe to clean your light switch plates. You’ll probably notice some forgotten dirt comes off in the process and will make your room look cleaner in a jiffy!
- Pet Food Bowls- You wash your bowls and plates before eating, don’t you think Rover wants the same? Dry food dishes don’t need it as often, but a good weekly cleaning will help to keep your pet’s food safe and their bowl sparkling.
- Dishes Drying Rack- You put clean dishes on this item, but it isn’t clean. Give it a regular cleaning to remove the residual gunk and germs before you put your clean plates in it.
With each item on our list clocking in at under 5 minutes, we bet you can get this entire list completed in under an hour and make your home a healthier and much cleaner place. Grab your disinfectant wipes, some white vinegar, and a scrub brush and get to work. Ready, set, CLEAN!